Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember: Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomePublicationsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 12

Share | 

Phrases Picked Up From Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hppamela
5th Year
5th Year

Female
Regist. date : 2007-11-04
Number of posts : 5190
Real First Name : Pamela
Warning :
0 / 30 / 3

House : Gryffie Lion--Hear my roar!
Crest :
Wand : Holly and Phoenix Tail Feather
Award Bar :
42 / 70042 / 700

PostSubject: Phrases Picked Up From Books   Fri Mar 20 2009, 03:27

I've noticed that when I have a favorite book, t.v. show, or movie, I'll pick up certain phrases from it and use them in my day-to-day speech. I can think of three off the top of my head that have come from books.

The one I use most frequently is from the Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop. I think it's in the second book, but I'm not 100% certain. It may be in the first. Anyway, it's "damn, damn, and double damn." The phrase doesn't really make much sense.

The second I tend to modify depending on the subject. It is from Tangled Webs which is another book within the world of the Black Jewels. The technical phrase is, "I'll kill him flatter than dead." It's said by a mother in reference to her son. Of course, it's not serious. It's one of those, "if you do that, I'll knock you into next Tuesday" phrases. Anyway, I use that from time to time, usually toward my boyfriend. In that case it's more like "I'll kill you flatter than dead."

The final is one I seldom use, but sometimes I pull it out. I refer to the ability to eat a lot (or really anything impressive having to do with the gastrointestinal system) as "gastronomical powers". This is from Jane Eyre. I swear, I laughed for a good ten minutes at that one. This may be because it sounded more like a phrase referring to...er...flatulence. That triggered the 14 year-old boy in me.

Anyway, how about you guys?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Phrases Picked Up From Books
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1